Monday, February 21, 2011

Teacher Props

Today I missed my glasses a little bit.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love, love, love my new eyes. LASIK was one of the best things I’ve ever done. (Here’s the link to my surgery if you’re curious ---> http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150130195486753&comments)

But my glasses were my “teacher prop.”

A teacher prop is something I’ve discovered that all teachers have, whether they know it or not.

We teachers have to stand in front of kids. A lot. Basically all day long. Part of the requirements to be a teacher (at least a successful one who manages to get anything done) is that you be comfortable in front of an audience. And middle schoolers are not just “any” audience. They are often grumpy, bored, disinterested, annoying, distracted or flat-out angry. That isn’t a put-down on my students, it is a fact. Sometimes the audience teachers have to teach in front of is less than totally receptive.

All types of audience issues can be dealt with through classroom management and lots of patience. But while the classroom management plans are being executed, or while day-to-day business is being conducted, a teacher has a teacher prop.

Establishing an authoritative presence doesn’t come easily or quickly. If you act like you’re nervous or unsure in front of the students, they will see the weakness and you’ll have a heck of a time getting them to do anything you want. I think teachers subconsciously use a teacher prop to help them stay focused and confident. Using something to “prop themselves up” to stay in front of the audience.

I’ve seen lots of different teacher props.

Papers: These can be worksheets, attendance sheets, hand-outs, a lesson outline… anything on white standard paper. The number of papers can vary, as many as a stack for a whole class, or a single sheet. This prop has several different applications of use- reshuffling on a podium, desk or cart, held in the hands and tapped with fingers, or clasped against the chest. Holding papers conveys the message that ‘I am a teacher, look at all this work I have for you/myself.’ The paper prop can also be a silent authoritative threat… the class is supposed to be working on an assignment (when this threat is applied, the current assignment could typically be considered ‘fun’) but in case the class gets out of hand, the teacher walks around the room monitoring progress while holding a stack of ‘un-fun’ worksheets that could be given at any moment to a disruptive student. Management via a prop without verbal cues.

Writing Utensil (pen/pencil/dry erase marker): This is an extremely versatile prop. It is able to be kept in hand throughout an entire class period because often a writing utensil is be used during instruction. In down time, a writing utensil can be used for tapping, bouncing between fingers, twirling down by one’s side or rolling between palms- perfect outlets for energy. One of my favorite activities was clicking the cap of an Expo marker half-off, then clicking it back on. I could do that a hundred times while giving a powerpoint presentation. The teacher’s pen is also powerful, able to scrawl anything across student work and have it contain meaning. Pens are also what document grades atop assignments. All students care about grades, whether they will admit it or not. Writing utensils are the most applicable prop.

Hands: Every single teacher has used this prop at some point, because they’re right at the ends of your arms and you just can’t help it. I find great comfort in putting my hands behind my back when I’m lecturing and absentmindedly picking at my fingernails. (I tend to pick at my nails all the time, much to my mother’s dismay) Other hand prop activities can be popping knuckles, tapping fingers or rubbing your hands together. Of all the props, I think this one could most easily backfire and appear as if you are unsure of yourself.

ID/Lanyard: Since I don’t have glasses anymore, this is the prop I’ve used the most. At my school, all students and staff are required to wear ID badges. These badges have the obligatory pixilated poor quality identification photo and hang around everyone’s necks by a basic lanyard in our school’s main color. The ID/lanyard provides a simple outlet for any nervous energy, aka fidgeting. The ID hangs by my waist so it’s easy to just hold onto while I talk, or I can mess with the keys I’ve clipped there for safekeeping. I have to be careful not to go overboard though, or fidgeting with my ID translates nervousness, rather than ‘I’m casual with issuing instructions, I’m just hanging out at the front of the room.’

I loved my glasses. They were in constant use on my face because I feel like they made me look smart. Otherwise I could adjust them delicately with one finger on the side while speaking, or stare sternly over the rims at a student who was being disruptive. I could also take them off and clean them with the edge of my cardigan and then put them back on dramatically if I was trying to make a point. Without my glasses, my face feels sort of naked. I still catch myself trying to adjust glasses that are no longer there.

I don’t think my quality of teaching has suffered because of my lack of lens wear, that would be ridiculous. It’s just that having glasses was a part of my persona as a teacher and now I’m on my way to adjusting to teaching without that prop.

I do still have my glasses at home in a drawer. I should put nonprescription lens in them and pretend sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment