Thursday, November 18, 2010

What's Another Word for "Bittersweet"?

I did some of my last 'college student-y' things today.
It was odd.

I went to the bookstore and bought my cap and gown. Then I paid $30 for an honor stole, since I'm graduating cum laude. I feel like after the thousands and thousands of dollars and 3 1/2 years of my life... can't you just give me the stole? Whatever. I wanted it so I got it because I'm a bit of a peacock. More pretty feathers to show everyone? Mine!

After procuring my regalia (I like that word!) I went over to the COE Advising Office. This is a place where more often than not I've received less than ideal news.

"This class no longer applies for the requirement we told it would."
"Another science class has been added to your degree plan."
"Fridays are no longer off-days for Student Teaching."
"The number of required observation hours have been upped from 30 to 60- you have one week to make up the difference."

But today was rather anticlimactic for a final visit. I sat down and was presented with my long awaited finalized degree plan. (I filed for the thing two years ago). There on the front page was the most glorious highlighted portion... it positively glowed from some kind of finality that can't be brought on by an office supply tool.

ALL REQUIREMENTS SATISFIED

I had a mental "that's all folks!" moment. I'm done. All my requirements to get a college degree are satisfied. Stick a fork in me- I'm done.

Ok- there is definitely a difference between "done" and "ready." I'm not quite sure which category I'm living in and that fact in itself makes me feel like I haven't embraced "ready" yet. I graduate in exactly 1 month and 23 hours from now. So I have about 1 month, 22 hours and 59 minutes to get to "ready" because then I'm walking a stage. I'm going to imagine I'm crossing an invisible threshold on that stage- college student passing into full adult.

I won't pretend I didn't feel some relief walking out of the COE Advising office for the last time. That place didn't hold any great memories. I think what I'm going to have to mentally separate myself from is the campus, my favorite buildings and most of all the people. I won't be a college student anymore.
It's going to be okay. I've been slowly compartmentalizing my good-byes for awhile now. On December 18th it will all be really final and honestly I can say I will be happy and eager to go into a new phase of my life.

But that doesn't mean I won't love/miss being a college student any less.

No comments:

Post a Comment